Thursday, October 22, 2020

Later Las Vegas, Hello Big Dune!

After relaxing and exploring the Las Vegas area with a friend for two days, I picked up my van this morning, heading for Death Valley. I didn't make it far along the wide open road, after shopping for groceries, snacks and supplies (aka: hand sanitizer), only about 70 miles, when I was distracted by a road sign that read, Big Dune! Nearing sunset and with my awesome home away from home van that is spectacular in nearly every way except that I can't take it off road, I am camped nearby with a front seat view, literally, watching the sky meld from blue to pink to red to orange to grey. Tomorrow morning, I'll wake early and make the walk in for sunrise. Or I'll sleep in and enjoy the view from my campchair. Either way, there's so much to see out in this vast expanse of landscape!








Dark now at 8pm, and finally cooling from 92 degrees to 79, I'm nesting, putting this here and that there, and preparing my first dinner in the desert - fruit salad and a pb and j sandwich. Kneading a twinge of homesickness that's been growing all day, twisting deep inside my chest, I finally give space to let my tears fall, acknowledging my feelings of loneliness, nervousness, and gratitude. My mom, who lives in Alberta, sent a package to me via my friend in Vegas and I just now opened it up to find some of my favorite Canadian candies, which I will be sharing with my sister and niece and nephew in Colorado, as well as a colorful array of hand knit hats, washcloths and socks, to be given to people I meet along the way. What a fun and thoughtful gift! Thanks mom! Between these, the nearly 15 pounds of painted rocks given to be by my Homer rocks friends, and the dozens of facemasks Karri made, I have oodles of thank you's to give out as I meander my way, collecting stories and memories and hopefully, making new friends! Grateful to be out here! 


1 comment:

  1. Love our new rock Chrisrina, and that our other rock, painted by locals from Beatty NV., will travel onward with you, on your journey! Safe Travels & storey collecting to you!
    STEPHANI & JASON @ Mama's Sweet Ice, Beatty NV.

    ReplyDelete

My Co-Pilot Sneaky