Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Death Valley - Incredibly beautiful, incredibly hot

















 Death Valley, Nevada - Incredibly beautiful, incredibly diverse, incredibly hot...

Three fantastic days in no cell signal range, in awe of the views, and in search of shade (no luck there) - exploring fascinating ghost towns and incredibly creative outdoor art exhibits, sweating along winding hiking trails with fantastic panoramic views, driving switchbacking, straight-as-an-arrow cutting across the landscape, scenic and, for one 20-mile stretch, white-knuckled, cliff-edged roads, noodling amongst colorful and the definition of majestic mountainscapes, walking the salt flats at the lowest place in the Western Hemisphere, watching the sun rise and set on spectacular sand dunes, and meeting interesting locals and other travelers, all with intriguing stories, pandemic-related and otherwise.

On day one, I was reminded to mind the direction of the wind when peeing outdoors. On day two, I discovered that what I thought was a trapped fly buzzing inside a cupboard in my van was actually the sound of the little fridge recharging. On day three, I finally figured out how to recline my driver's seat and discovered some really neat features about my van, like the tires all have auto sensors that read air inflation levels and the brakes have a setting for grade control, coming in very handy on some of the steep roads! On day four, I bid farewell to this incredibly beautiful, incredibly diverse and incredibly hot place, and began making my way north to another dream destination - Route 50, America's Loneliest Highway. From 96 degrees and waiting for midnight to at long last have it be cool enough to fall asleep, to a forecasted 36 degrees, I'm happy I purchased the winter camping pack with my van rental, which includes a hot water bottle and two extra sleeping bags! 

I feel blessed to be out here, grateful to feel safe traveling on my own and in this way, and overjoyed at being able to interact with others. Everywhere I go, most people are wearing masks, even outdoors on trails and wide open spaces, and every small business, gas station and store I've been in are requiring them, although like in Homer, not actively enforcing that. 

The people I met during my time in the desert include Tyler from Fairbanks on a trip to visit a friend in California and see a part of the country he's never explored; George, a retired school teacher in her 60's revisiting her former nomadic lifestyle; Jason, a functional art artist from Las Vegas who moved from the city to the small town where his mom lives, and built and operates a shaved ice in the summer/coffee stand in the fall/winter to make ends meet until he can return to his art; Darren and Lindsey, a couple who met in and work year round in Yosemite, he for 24 seasons and her for 13 and who spend their downtime wandering about in a 1982 VW van with their two dogs, and Charlie, 81 who walks three miles a day, twice a day, around his hometown, is excited to vote for Trump again on election day, and loves to play pranks on local youth. 

Thank you to each of my project supporters who have made donations through my Go Fund Me and to me directly, and/or in-kind support! I couldn't be out here without your encouragement in so many ways! Chris Long, Ed and Sara Berg, Emily Ward, Janet Higley, Karri Wickstrom, Linda S. White-Canfield, Lorraine Stoby, Monica Sallee, Pam Breckenridge, Rika Mouw, Susan Braund, Taz Tally, Terry Talbot, Tina Day, and two Anonymous individuals. Thank you all!

2 comments:

  1. Christina, have a fun and safe trip....I will be reading your fun adventure.....Cant even imagine 96 degrees while it s snowing (finally) and in 20's in Homer- Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cool - I mean HOT 🤣 - place to experience!

    ReplyDelete

My Co-Pilot Sneaky