Monday, October 25, 2021

On The Road Again...

Behind the Mask – Our Stories is both a witnessing and a documenting of this unprecedented time. As an Alaskan writer, photographer, artist and adventure traveler, I have been chronicling life during the pandemic since March 2020, capturing images and videos, and collecting stories of everyday people across American and how their lives have been impacted. I believe that sharing our stories keeps us connected by providing a sense of belonging and community, and I believe that documenting this time is extremely important. Behind the Mark melds the two. 

 

During the past year, I have driven more than 10,000 miles, crisscrossing the Northwestern United States and Alaska, capturing photos and videos of people, places, and landscapes, and recording interviews. Now, I am returning to the road with Sneaky, my feline companion, to spend six months driving across the country to complete my documentation of life in the Pacific Northwest, the Southern states, along the East Coast, and through the Midwest, as well as revisiting numerous people and places I previously encountered. My immediate goal is to document everyday life in all 50 states by spring 2022, and my extended goals include creating a coffee table book, a traveling art exhibit, and a documentary film that will showcase these people, these places, and these stories.  Behind the Mask – Our Stories is a project that encourages storytelling, nurtures community and connection, and documents this critical time. 

 

Social Media Links To Behind the Mask:

Facebook

Instagram

Youtube


Media Stories About Behind the Mask:

Homer artist takes pandemic project on the road

Local goes behind the mask of Americans


Become a Behind the Mask Project Supporter - Go Fund Me

Receive postcards from the road and recognition within this blog, my social media sites and in the book, exhibit and film I'll be creating down the road.


Thank you to these individuals who have already donated to this next phase of documentation - Emily Ward, Janet Higley, Lorraine Stoby, Taz Tally and Terry Talbot. Thank you to TOTE Maritime Alaska for coming on board as my first business/corporate sponsor, providing transport for my car between Anchorage and Tacoma. AND a very special thank you to the following individuals who helped me launch this project one year ago, and keep it and me moving forward -  Barbara Russell Glidden, Bud Johnson, Chet Ross, Chris Long, Deb Williams, Ed and Sara Berg, Emily Ward, Evie Carpenter, Gail Baker, Ginger Drais, Jamie Bauer, Janet Higley, Jon Stoby, Jody Bone, Karri Wickstrom, Linda S. White-Canfield, Lois Lane-Plampin, Lorraine Stoby, Maria Felland, Monica Sallee, Pam Breckenridge, Rika Mouw, Scott Price, Susan Braund, Susan Ford, Taz Tally, Terry Talbot, Tina Day, and several anonymous individuals. 






 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Co-Pilot Sneaky